I need to be able to add/edit/delete records whose data structure is somewhat complex and involves a lot of business rules for each database operation. For example:
- Some inserts are simple INSERTs, while others may be INSERT IGNORE depending on certain conditions
- Delete operations may or may not trigger addition DB operations
Furthermore, due to the complexity of the data structure and a few other reasons (e.g. not wanting this to be coupled to EE so that other CMS can interact with it in the future), I want all this data to be on a separate database.
I'm still not completely sure what an addon can or cannot do. So, here are some questions I have before getting too deep into this:
- Is it possible to create some sort of addon whose data is stored on a different database?
- Since this won't be using Channels, how would I make my back end interfaces appear in the Control Panel?
- Will I be able to loop through the entries like I do with Channel entries (using tag pairs)?