I'm using "Self-activation by email" for new members, and FreeMember for the front end form. However new members are not being sent the activation email.
I have done more testing and found this is true for all my EE sites on Bluehost. I have tried this on a 1.7, 2.7, and 2.8 EE site. I have also tried it with email accounts hosted on Bluehost and those not on Bluehost. None have worked for me.
What I've tested:
- I can email members (pending or activated members) via the communicate section.
- I have tried all three options (PHP, SMTP, and SendMail)
- my local build (MAMP) works fine
- email debugging doesn't produce any errors
- using the 're-send activation' link does not work either
- I disabled email activation, tried a test registration that worked, then enabled activation and it still didn't work.
- I get the admin notification emails instantly when a new member registers (i.e. the "A new member has registered..." email)
- I can send email via the "communicate" feature in the CP
- Password reset emails are working and are sent to the member
- The same is true for other installs of EE (v1.7, 2.7, 2.8) on three separate Bluehost accounts. All of these are the basic shared hosting plan.
Bluehost support says that logs show the emails are being sent.
Is there anything different about how the Member Activation email messages are sent? It sounds like it could be a global filter that Bluehost has applied that is blocking all of these.
Anyone else have EE on a Bluehost shared server and can test? Can you confirm that new member activation emails are or are not received?