Here is the scenario:
- I want to store files (PDFs, DOCX, etc.) using Amazon S3 or similar
- I want members to login to my site and download these files via a url
- The link needs to be scrambled ie. www.mydomain.com/fdsfjksdksdasd
- The site runs on HTTPs / SSL
- The URLs can NOT be shareable i.e. members must be logged in (so deny hotlinks)
- There are multiple files per entry
I currently have a version of this using the file manager, the files stored behind the root and Intoeetive's Protected Links to manage the urls (which prevents hotlinking). The problem I have is that the file manager is awkward for the users of the site.
Ideally, the users would be able to search for a document in Amazon S3 or similar and attach it to an entry.
At the moment, we're FTPing documents to the server, running the sync in EE file manager 9slow when you have a lot of files), then attaching the file to the entry (we're using Matrix to handle multiple files) and a few other admin tasks to satisfy Protected Links. It is also difficult when we want to move files into different folders (as that breaks the links).
I've looked at Assets, as the interface for the users will be easy to adopt, but has limitations.
Is there an alternative to using file manager that would handle what I am looking for a bit more out of the box?
Note: I understand this is more of a subjective question, but I was pointed here form Pixel & Tonic and I also posted on the forums but got no responses.