I need some serious help guys!
I am running a large and popular website on ee 1.70. I want to upgrade to version 2 so this is what I did:
- copied all files and folders, and made a backup sql file of the database
- created a new database
- created a new folder on the server called /test/
- imported the sql file into the new database
- copied all folders and files into /test/ folder and changed permissions where necessary.
- Changed the config file to show the new database location
When I tried to log on to the control panel from here, I got a table error, and the advice found online was to start the ee2 upgrade. I'm sure this is where things went wonky.
I followed the upgrade instructions by renaming index.php and system and theme folders to _old. I uploaded the ee2 files. I restored some 1.x files. I ran the upgrade and it stopped part way through and gave me an ugly, non-css version of my site. I tried the upgrade again and had the same result.
Then when I went to my normal, live site, I got nothing but "Site Error: Unable to Load Site Preferences; Invalid Preference Data"! My site is gone! The real one! How did that happen?
I restored my original files and folders onto the server and am still getting the site error message. How do I get my site back? And how to I continue to upgrade in the /test/ folder if it won't complete?
I'm panicking :(