Just to clarify, we definitely use a forked version of CI with security holes patched as we find them. We also apply any security patches to the public version of CodeIgniter. Don't update what's there as that would cause compatibility issues.
My apology - looks like with one of update I missed procedure for version <1.3.4. It is no more global settings in MX Google Map (most of them was replaced with ee config.php varibles). I will add this update function in next build.
Right now you can just run next query
update exp_fieldtypes SET has_global_settings = 'n' WHERE name = 'mx_google_map'
I wouldn't say it's a pain. It certainly should be a planned event though. There was a great podcast about this a few months ago over on the Ctrl+Click podcast. Check it out here: http://ctrlclickcast.com/episodes/upgrading-ee
I've upgraded 100's of Wordpress sites many times and probably about 50 EE sites. Despite Wordpress having the one click update, I ...
The error message is pointing to an issue with Pixel and Tonic's Field Pack; you should attempt to upgrade it.
These "white screens of death" errors with the control panel after updating are frequently caused by an issue with an add-on; you temporarily disable them by adding $config['allow_extensions'] = "n"; to your config.php.
The EE1 docs are still available for download. Just look in the top right corner for a link to download the zipped docs. You can look for the section about the email module, which should do exactly as you need.
In this case, it may be easiest to just work with what you have. Upgrading to 2.7 from 1.6.8 could be quite an undertaking. Sometimes it works out ...
As a developer, I take on huge projects that span months to years with an incredible amount of engineering involved. I just upgraded a site with 500k weekly hits.
It wasn't the easiest thing ever, but compared to the very complex things a good developer is capable of, it was a walk in the park. I'm afraid it's one of the tiniest fish in the pond of hard ...
Another potential fix is to add the following config overrides:
$config['require_ip_for_login'] = 'n';
$config['require_ip_for_posting'] = 'n';
My team has had luck with that when dealing with add-ons that offer the option to redirect on login (Structure and Republic Analytics in our experience).
If you're on EE3, the update process is much more manageable for two reasons:
You only need to replace two directories as part of the update process. Ellis Lab did a better job of separating user files from core EE3 files.
You can now check for add-on updates directly from the Control Panel.
If you are getting a 'white screen of death' then most likely it is an add-on that is causing problems.
One solution is to un-install all the add-ons, do the upgrade and then add them back. (simply move all the third-party add-ons from the directory they are in to a different one, do the upgrade, and move them back one at a time until you work out which ...
Ooo yeah you shouldn't have tried to revert. I ran into this issue upgrading a huge site; they literally just have a bug in the updater if I remember correctly. You just need to get the settings for the column from a previous backup, and make sure you create that column manually with the correct settings. Sorry, wish I could be more specific, but I don't ...
IF you are following each step mentioned in upgrade doc it's worlds easiest task.
however it's a bit tough if you are not using a stable version currently or your EE current version is older than 2.7 .
in both these cases you will face some deprecated functions issues, but trust me these can be resolved easily.
but when you say you are using 2.8.1 it's ...
Looks like previous issues like this could relate to your plugins : https://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/110352/#691061
Perhaps try removing your plugins before upgrade then re-add them?
Further we see this error message amongst many CI and EE files at the top of the class files, it's so common that debugging can cause all sorts of issues:
<?php if (...
Solved! Updating instructions say to copy the entire system/language/english folder from the old system folder to the new, updated one. But the old one was missing a file: template_router_lang.php.
I was able to go back to the files I downloaded from EllisLab, find that file, and put it in my server. Voila.
I'll tell you what gives: the first column in the database-table had been renamed. Used to be "order_id", now it's called plain "id". Changed the query and everything worked again.
But I couldn't find any information on this from Exp-resso, isn't renaming stuff in the database a big deal?
I should also mention that this is one of the few times we've gone ...
I agree with the above, my method goes like this:
Copy the site and database to a development environment, you can use your own computer running MAMP/WAMP, use a subdomain on the existing hosting account, or even an unused hosting account
Take a backup of site and database, you can usually do this via the hosting control panel
Upgrade EE1 addons/extensions/...
I was having this same error going from 2.6.1 to 2.7.0. Here's how I got around it.
Don't upload your system -> third party folders until after you run the installer.
I followed all the steps here: http://ellislab.com/expressionengine/user-guide/installation/update.html
except for uploading the add-ons to third party at the end of #3, ran the update and ...